250 g Butter
150 g Dark chocolate, chopped
440 g Castor sugar
250 ml Hot water
80 ml Coffee-flavoured liqueur
30 ml Instant coffee powder
225 g Plain flour
35 g Self raising flour
25 g Cocoa powder
2 ea Eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 160 ºC. Grease deep 20 cm –round cake tin; line the side with baking paper
2. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, the water, liqueur and coffee powder in medium saucepan. Using wooden spoon, stir over medium heat until chocolate melts
3. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 15 minutes. Whisk in combined sifted flours and cocoa powder, the eggs. Pour in prepared tin.
4. Bake cake about 50 – 60 minutes. Stand cake in tin for 30 minutes before turning onto wire rack; turn cake upside down to cool.
• Cover the cake loosely with foil about halfway through the baking time if it stars to overbrown.
• The cake will keep for up to one week in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Click here to download the Chocolate mud cake recipe